Pages

Friday, June 8, 2012

Reba McEntire roots for the Oklahoma City Thunder - NewsOK.com (blog)

Oklahoma country music/acting superstar Reba McEntire talks at a press conference after she was honored as The Annie Oakley Society Award winner on Thursday, June 7, 2012, in Oklahoma City, Okla. Photo by Steve Sisney, The Oklahoman

Count Country Music Hall of Famer Reba McEntire among the Oklahoma celebrities who are Oklahoma City Thunder fans.

The Chockie native and her husband/manager Narvel Blackstock visited Oklahoma City Thursday so the superstar singer/actress could receive the Annie Oakley Society Award at a luncheon at the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum.

“Narvel and I flew in last night and watched the end of the game: very proud,” she said of the Thunder’s Western Conference Finals victory Wednesday night over the San Antonio Spurs.

“When they beat the Lakers (in the Western Conference semifinals), I was thrilled to pieces. We live partially in L.A. But for Oklahoma to do that, it was huge. So last night, we were cheering for them and very excited.”

Although she primarily makes her home in Nashville, Tenn., these days, she still considers Oklahoma home.

“Oklahoma’s my home, absolutely. I spent all my years growing up in Oklahoma, working in Oklahoma, going to school in Oklahoma, rodeoing in Oklahoma, so it will always be a part of me. So always coming back and remembering where I came from and my roots, the great people of Oklahoma. You’re very near and dear to my heart.”

The Thunder will begin its first NBA title run at 8 p.m. Tuesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena. The Thunder will play either the Miami Heat or the Boston Celtics.

To read my feature on Thursday’s festivities honoring McEntire, click here.

-BAM

If you enjoyed this post, please consider to leave a comment or subscribe to the feed and get future articles delivered to your feed reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment